Creating memorials in loving memory of our pets...


This memorial is sponsored by:


Memorial created 01-7-2016 by
William Harding
January 4 2016

Date of Birth: ??

Date of Rescue: 8-31-2007, 1:00 PM

 And the story starts like this…

Gayle called me August 29, 2007, saying that there was a free dog, to be adopted, in the paper.  I asked her if she would follow up and make a phone call about the dog. The next day, Lori and I went down to see the dog and she was tied to a boat trailer on a 10 foot piece of rope. Lori’s first reaction was ‘maybe this is not the dog for you, you don’t know what kind of life she’s had.’  I found out that evening about her life, as the owner left a message on my answering machine, that if I didn’t come and take the dog away, he was going to kill her tomorrow afternoon!

I called back and left a message that I would be there the next day at 1:00PM to pick her up!

My next call was to the Little Guild Shelter, that I had this dog I might need to drop off, as my intentions were just to rescue her.  The staff politely said, ‘we’re painting the kennels this week, can you keep her until next weekend.’ 

This was 2007…


Fast Forward to the Present…

Her usual greeting will never be forgotten by anyone who visited.  Whether it was your first time or your hundredth time, it didn’t make a difference.  It was her job of letting me know if anyone was here… And she did her job very very well!

Over the ensuing years, we had wonderful memories of spending countless hours together. We walked together every day.  We listened to each other every day.  We were just simply… partners.

Recently, over the past month, she had slowed down. She started to go to lie down in spots, inside or outside the house, where she had never gone before. I recently read that a dog knows when something is wrong, and not wanting to upset her owner, simply stays out of the way.

On December 28, 2015, I called Gayle, as she had a great relationship with the vets at Sand Road Hospital, and we took Chloe to see Doctor Dave.

Doctor Dave suspected, and started treating her, for an enlarged liver and spleen. 

I took her home that Monday night… And while happy to be home, I think she knew her time was ending soon.  Over the next 7 days, she wouldn’t eat (which as you all know- is very unlike Chloe!).  Wouldn’t have any water; and wouldn’t partake in her favorite pastime... running down to the cabin and river.

On Sunday, January 32016, at 11:00AM, in almost puppy like fashion, Chloe ran to the door, and gave me that ‘let’s go down to the river look in her eyes.’ A normal walk to the river and back would usually take 20 minutes… This walk lasted almost an hour!  I now understand that this was her way of saying, I now need to go on my last walk with you today, as I am very tired. 

Gayle and I took her up to Sand Road Hospital, and under the direction of Doctor Dave, let her pass on at 10:45AM, on January 4th, 2016.


This tribute is really more about helping me deal with her loss, and I just want to thank you all who have been in her life.

Special thanks from Chloe to Gayle M, Bill M, Christine W, and many more of you (and you know who you are).

Enjoy the photos!



If you would like to make a donation to help other dogs in need of rescue, like Chloe, please consider The Critter Fund, at the Community Foundation of Northwest Connecticut:


Please sign the guestbook for Chloe by clicking here

This page has been visited 18510 times


Honor, cherish and share your loved one's story.


Home  ::   About  ::   Create  ::   Search  ::   Terms of Use  ::   Privacy  ::   Affiliates  ::   FAQ  ::   Links
Copyright(1996-2008) © Critters Inc. All rights reserved.